How Long Do Thanksgiving Leftovers Last In Your Fridge?
Thanksgiving is a great day for eating, but how long can all those leftovers last in your fridge and freezer? Which ones should you freeze, and what's the easiest way to freeze them? Here are a few tips.
1. Turkey - Your bird will last up to four days in the fridge. You can freeze it for up to three months. It does need to be taken off the bone first.
2. Mashed potatoes - A week is pretty much all you have with this side dish but honestly, I've never had leftover potatoes last more than a couple of days in my house.
3. Green bean casserole - You can keep it up to four days in the fridge, but the green beans will get yucky if you freeze them.
4. Cranberry sauce - You have a couple of weeks to use up this sauce or freeze it for a couple of months. Try drizzling it over pancakes or muffins for a tangy hit to your breakfast favorites. It's also delicious over plain or vanilla yogurt.
5. Gravy - It really only has a couple of days shelf life in the fridge, or you can freeze it in smaller packages. I usually put it in small freezer bags because it doesn't take up as much room in the freezer.
You might keep your leftovers longer than this but this is the recommended number of days to avoid any possible bacterial growth. If you don't want to fill up your fridge with plastic containers, use freezer bags because they lay flat in your fridge and freezer. It's also easier to portion out leftovers for your guests.