‘How to Get a Husband’ Advice from 1958 is Hilariously Cringy
McCall's was a women's magazine that ran from 1873 to 2002. With that many years in publication, you're bound to find some interesting articles. Someone found an article from 1958 that gave advice on how to get a husband. Here just some examples of advice coming from McCall's:
- Be nice to everybody - they may have an eligible brother or son.
- Be friendly to ugly men - handsome is as handsome does.
- Tell your friends you are interested in getting married. Don't keep it a secret.
- Get a job demonstrating fishing tackle in a sporting goods store.
- On a plane, train, or bus don't sit next to a woman - sit next to a man.
- Go to all reunions of your high school or college class. There may be widowers there.
- Don't be afraid to associate with more attractive girls; they may have some leftovers.
- Go back to your home town for a visit - the wild kid next door may have become a very eligible bachelor while you were away.
- Don't room with a girl who is a sad sack and let her pull you down to her level. .
- Learn to paint. Set up an easel outside engineering school.
Here are some options they give of how to get a guy to know you're out there.
- Stumble when you walk into a room that he's in.
- Forget discretion every once in a while and call him up.
- Carry a hatbox.
- Wear a band-aid. People always ask what happened.
- Make a lot of money.
- Learn several funny stories and learn to tell them well - but make sure you don't tell them to him more than once.
- Walk up to him and tell him you need some advice.
- Dropping the handkerchief still works.
- Have your father buy some theater tickets that have to be got rid of. Holy crap this was in an episode of Friends. Rachel buys Knicks tickets for the guy she has a crush on but it backfires because he doesn't realize he's supposed to take her.
- Stand in a corner and cry softly - Chances are good that he'll come over to find out what's wrong.
And this is just the top of the iceberg. There was a total of 129 ways to get a husband.